This summer I took a much needed break from photography and just left my camera at home. I tried to live more in the moment, focus on what I was eating, the music I was listening to, the people I was with. I relished in living my life, without the constant need to document it. While blogging has many wonderful sides to it, and I certainly wouldn’t have half the experiences without it, it does also mean that you’re often too busy thinking about the right camera angles to actually enjoy the view. At the end of this summer I may not have a ton of photos, but I have even more memories. That said, I did take a few snaps with my phone throughout summer, and since it’s been quite a while since I blogged, I figured I’d catch you up on what I’ve been up to.
SUMMER THROUGH MY PHONE
1. My summer started with the yearly tradition of heading out to a cottage with all my friends to watch the Eurovision. We spent an entire weekend in the woods singing, drinking and eating barbecue. There’s something incredibly relaxing about being in nature, and I would’ve happily stayed there all summer.
2. This year I also did an exceptional amount of swimming. Usually you can’t drag me to swim by force in Finland (the water is so cold!), but this summer I actually went swimming quite a few times. Straight from sauna of course!
1. Just a few of my summer essentials; a sunhat, tropical bikini from H&M, Raybans and Happy Joe.
2. One of my favourite things about my new home is that it’s basically upstairs from a bistro, so I developed a habit of having lunch sitting in the sun on their terrace whenever I could. A heavenly risotto and a glass of house white make for the loveliest lunch.
7. Visiting Amsterdam has been on my bucket list for years. This June I finally got the chance, if only for a few hours. We strolled by the canal oohhing over the cute little houses, and stopped for a quick lunch in the sun. I’ll definitely be heading back for another visit as soon as possible.
3. At the end of June I traveled to Germany for a friend’s wedding, and spent the weekend alone in a hotel for the first time in my life. Waking up by yourself in those crisp hotel sheets feels like the most luxurious thing in the world.
4. If there’s one thing I love even more than hotel beds, it’s hotel breakfasts. This place had everything from pastries to fresh fruit and a make your own waffles -station. And yes, I did eat all that!
5. I just have to give a shoutout to this sunscreen, since it’s basically been a life-changer. I hate sunscreen, the application process, the stickiness, the scent.. But the Vichy Ideal Soleil Solar Protective Water literally feels like water, you just spray it on and you don’t even need to rub it in. Love!
6. I discovered that my favourite place in Helsinki is probably the Hietaniemi beach. I could’ve basically lived at there, and I did spend quite a few days just lounging on the beach and enjoying the heat. Add ice cream, a quick dip in the sea and I’m in heaven!
8. If I had to name a signature drink for this summer, it would be aperol spritz. I had more than my fair share of spritzes in the last few months, but the best ones are on a little bar boat just around the corner from my place.
9. We didn’t quite manage to get to Flow Festival this year, but we did head out to a terrace nearby to do some people watching. In the midst of drooling over the cool festival outfits we also had some sinfully good burgers from Bites.
10. Another long-time dream of mine that came true this summer was getting matching tattoos with my sister. It’s something we had been talking about for so long, and this month we finally took the plunge and got a little moon & sun tattoo on our wrists.
What’s your favourite moment from this summer?